Memories of the Rugby World Cup (RWC) 2015

Fly My Winged Child
Through the eyes of a Flying Fijian mum



It was around about the same time 4 years ago that I was boarding a flight to London heading to see our Flying Fijian Ben Volavola’s debut at the RWC 2015. It was to be his first.

Blessed with having family based in London made it that much easier when it came to looking for accommodation. And when we had more family members (yes another cousin from Spain) descend into London, I felt like I was back home in Fiji.

It was my first RWC experience and what an experience it was. Fiji were pooled in the same pool as England, Australia, Uruguay and Wales which was dubbed the “pool of death”.

The RWC kicked off with the opening match between the hosts the English Rose vs the Flying Fijians at the Twickenham stadium. It was huge.

I remember walking in thinking to myself that the many years of getting Ben to his practice sessions, 1:1 kicking sessions where he had me running all over the oval picking up the ball and returning it to him with my best version of kicking a rugby ball and overcoming the many challenges has brought us to this very moment and it was all worth it.

Yes, I did get emotional but who wouldn’t? I was walking into Twickenham. The stadium where many rugby matches have been played. Where hearts have been broken and victories celebrated. It was amazing!

There were hundreds actually thousands of people wearing their team jerseys and waving their country’s flags. It was a sight to see!

As is always the tradition at every Rugby game let alone the World Cup, a toss of the coin is done between the two captains. Akapusi Qera was Fiji’s captain then. Fiji won the toss which meant Ben was going to be the player who would start the game with the opening kick.

Twickenham RWC 2015 opening ceremony
Twickenham lit up like a Christmas tree with a well-rehearsed tale showcasing dancers, former rugby players and even Prince Edward depicting the birth of the game in this land that is called “the home of rugby.”


Both teams took to the oval and we all stood for the national anthems of both Fiji and England. It was a moment I will never forget. Tears ran down the faces of many of these players; no doubt many of them thinking of their families and how much they have sacrificed to be here. I can only imagine their stories. I was very proud.

And then it was game on! Every player was introduced on the big screen and I will never forget how I felt seeing Ben’s photo and hearing his name being announced through the gramophones. I suddenly thought of my grandfather the late Ratu Livai Volavola. This was his name that the whole world would hear.  I thought of my dad who also played college rugby whilst we were living in England, my stepfather who instilled in Ben the love for rugby, the boys dad who is always encouraging them and imparting words of wisdom, my mum who has been relentless in her prayer for us, my family and friends who have come alongside us to pray and encourage us and my son Milan (the Younger Volavola) who has been Ben’s biggest supporter. I was so grateful.

The England vs Fiji game was good although we lost. There were many brilliant moments of the game (too many to mention) but what I will always remember is the cross kick by Ben to Nemani Nadolo for Fiji’s first try  and Fiji packing down against England. We held our own against a team who are considered world class in their scrums.


Fiji has never been known for our strong scrummaging work but at this world cup we showed the world that we were just as good as the best. Our brilliant scrums continued throughout the tournament; but it was in our second game against Australia that must have shocked the Wallaby’s and their fans. It was one of my favourite memories of the RWC. 

If you had watched the Fiji vs Australia game at the last RWC 2015, we had put the Wallabies under extreme pressure. Eventually we broke the defence and scored our only try.

I was besides myself when that happened and the fans were up on their feet. It was incredible.



Unfortunately, Fiji only one 1 of their pool games which was against Uruguay but all in all it was a great effort!

Sitting in Singapore waiting for my connecting flight to Japan for the RWC 2019, I am reminded again that nothing is impossible! As I look around the airport, across from me is a small group of All Blacks fans proudly wearing their All Blacks Jerseys and some with Super XV Waikato Chiefs jerseys. Next to me a few seats away, is a couple wearing their Japanese jerseys. There are some die hard rugby fans here. 

My thinking is this. Since we were able to beat France in November last year in their own backyard for the first time in history, come close to beating Ireland also in November 2018 and eventually beat the NZ Maori All Blacks after 62 years, then defeating the likes of Australia and/or Wales is possible! 

So, here's to a great RWC 2019 and just because I can.....let's go my Flying Fijians. TOSO VITI TOSO (GO FIJI GO!).


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Younger Volavola

Where it all started....

Our First Rugby Tour